Do you think it’s already time to wash your down comforter? Well, guess what? It’s no longer necessary for you to pay for professional laundry because you can do it yourself. Take note, however, that you need to do it delicately and patiently.
Without any more delay, here’s how you can efficiently wash your favorite down comforter.
Manually Prepare the Comforter
First, you need to prepare the down comforter for the cleaning process. If you see stains on the comforter, then spot-clean it by hands.
If there is a flurry of flying down and feathers, then it may be a sign of ripped areas. Look for the torn down and sew them manually with a needle and a thread.
Keep in mind that machine wash is not efficient in removing spots and stains. Besides, we don’t want to keep the comforter for a long time inside the washing machine.
Machine Wash the Down Comforter
Don’t use small or average size washing machine for your comforter. I suggest visiting your local Laundromat and look for a large front-loading washing machine.
The top-loading machine typically has an “agitator” at the center which might rip the comforter apart.
Add mild laundry detergent and do not add too much soap. A small amount is enough to clean your down comforter.
Fill the machine with warm water. Do not use hot or cold for these may damage the quality of the down or feathers. Try to completely submerge the comforter as much as possible as well.
After which, choose gentle or delicate cycle to prevent damaging your comforter.
For rinsing option, choose rinse cycle twice. You have to ensure that the soap was completely washed out from the comforter before drying it out. I personally recommend that you squeeze the water out of your comforter before tossing it in the dryer. This will help the comforter to spin freely inside the dryer.
Dry the Down Comforter
You need to have a few tennis balls when drying your down comforter. The balls will help you keep the fluffiness of the comforter while preventing the down and feathers from mushing or clumping. They can also speed up the drying process of the comforter.
Don’t set the drying machine to high setting too because it may shrink the down comforter. Remember to check the fluffiness of the comforter once in a while. You can manually knead and shake the comforter to distribute the down properly.
Look for clumps inside the comforter. Clumps mean that the comforter is not completely dry yet. Toss it back in the drying machine and repeat the process until completely dry.
Things to Keep in Mind
- You may choose to air dry the comforter by laying it out in a sunny area for a couple of hours.
- Avoid line-drying since it may produce mildew.
- You may opt to air dry your comforter before tossing it in the drying machine.
- The drying process takes up to 5 hours and more so keep your patience with you.
- Washing the comforter should only be done once a year.
Incoming search terms:
- can i put a down comforter in the washing machine
- wash down comforter top washing machine
- To clean the bill for my bedding the phone down
- how to clean down comforter
- duvet washing machine
- drying down comforter
- do I use hot or cold water to wash a down comforter?
- can you wash goose down comforters
- can you dry clean down comforters
- can one safely machine wash a down duvet