- 1 Types of Electric Blankets
- 2 Benefits of an Electric Blanket
- 3 Features of a Sunbeam Electric Blanket
- 4 Top Sunbeam Electric Blankets
- 5 Throw Electric Blankets: An Alternative
- 6 How to Select the Best Electric Blanket
- 7 Things to Be Mindful of When Using an Electric Blanket
- 8 Conclusion
If you abhor the winters like I do, you have come to the right place. I am sure you will agree when I say there is nothing worse than jumping into your bed and waiting forever for your mattress and blanket to warm up. Thankfully, technology has found a simple fix to the problem.
Blankets that can be electrically heated are easily available these days. They are easy to use and maintain, and give you instant warmth. What’s more, there are a variety of electric blankets types and sizes available, for purposes like bedding and overthrows, catering to different needs.
If you are planning to buy an electric blanket, look no further and pay close attention to what follows. We explain the many benefits of an electric blanket, list a few of the best Sunbeam electric blankets and answer some basic questions about how electrical blankets work and what you must consider before purchasing a Sunbeam electric blanket.
Types of Electric Blankets
To begin with, let’s take at different types of electric blankets:
- Under Blanket: Used over the mattress and kept in place by cords; usually covered with a bedsheet.
- Over Blanket: Worn as a cover while sleeping; wiring and switches are seamless.
- Heater Mattress Covers: Function as fitted immovable sheets on the mattress to prevent sliding; no wiring in the pillow region.
- Heated Mattress Tops: Placed on top of a mattress as additional padding; kept in place by elastic cords.
- Throws: Used when lying on the couch.
- Heated Duvet: Can be used as a regular and electrically heated duvet when needed.
Benefits of an Electric Blanket
An electric blanket is not just meant for a quick heating solution in bone-chilling winters; it also encompasses a much wider range of benefits. Some of the direct and indirect benefits of an electric blanket are as follows:
- Improves Quality of Sleep: A direct outcome of a quick and speedy blanket-heating solution is that you sleep longer and better. You don’t have to wait to get comfortable and warm, and can catch up on your sleep without any chilly interruptions.
- Health Benefits: A heated blanket can help reduce stress and tension levels, eliminate dust mites and prevent allergies, alleviate muscle pain, and reduce stiffness by increasing blood flow to the muscles. An electric blanket, therefore, comes with a host of other health benefits as well.
- Reduces Electricity Bills: Last but not least, using an electric blanket will ensure that you use heaters sparingly, and as a result, cut down on electricity bills.
Simply put, if you are not completely satisfied with the way your current blanket gives you warmth, you should consider switching to an electric blanket. You should consider this even more seriously if you live in a region with extended bouts of harsh winters and moderate to heavy snowfall. However, this doesn’t mean you should not use an electric blanket during other seasons.
As mentioned before, the usage of an electric blanket comes with several health benefits; so it is only wise that you use them as often as possible. They are not only low-maintenance but are also very easy to use. The current options in the market not only provide you with quick, reliable, and speedy blanket heating solutions but are also available in elegant and subtle colors.
Features of a Sunbeam Electric Blanket
An electric blanket comes loaded with a variety of handy and practical features that give you control over things like temperature, duration of heating, the intensity of heat, and the option to focus on one or more body parts. Sunbeam, a leading manufacturer of electrical blankets, offers the following noteworthy features in their electric blankets:
- Overheat Protection with Timer Control: Most electric blankets have mechanisms to ensure that the blanket doesn’t become too hot to stay on too long. This not only provides safety but also gives the user an advantage to set the duration for which a blanket should be electrically warmed.
- Varied Temperature Control: Naturally, an electric blanket allows you to select the intensity of heat by giving your various temperature control options. While some may offer you heating options, others might actually allow you to set the desired temperature.
- Dynamic Heat Sensors: Some higher-end electric blankets also come equipped with heat sensors that gauge the change in your body temperature and adjust the setting of the blanket automatically for maximum comfort.
- Dual Control: If two individuals with different thresholds to heat are sharing the same electric blanket, they do not have to put up with the other’s settings. Electric blankets with a dual control feature allow different people to set their own temperature and heat preferences.
- Foot Warming: Some electric blankets come with an option to focus on the lower part of your body and provide extra heat to the legs and feet.
Top Sunbeam Electric Blankets
Sunbeam Quilted Fleece Heated Blanket
- Quilted heated fleece blanket offers warmth and comfort
- ThermoFine technology delivers consistent, evenly distributed heat
- Multiple heat settings let you choose the right amount of warmth
|Features:||10 different heat settings, 10-hour auto-off function, attractive design, 5-year warranty|
|Sizes Available:||Twin, Full, Queen, King|
|Designs Available:||Acorn, Garnet, Ivy, Mushroom, Newport Blue, Seashell, Walnut|
Sunbeam Microplush Heated Blanket
- Easy to use electric blanket with digital controller with 12 heat...
- Soft and cozy royal luxe for ideal warmth and comfort in elegant red...
- 84" x 72"; Full size
|Features:||10 different heat settings, 10-hour auto-off function, dual control in king and queen sizes, preheat feature, digital display, push-button controls, 5-year warranty|
|Sizes Available:||Twin, Full, Queen, King|
|Designs Available:||Garnet, Mushroom, Slate, Walnut|
Sunbeam Velvet Plush Queen Heated Blanket
- Indulge in the rich softness of the Queen Size Sunbeam Premium Soft...
- Size: Queen (84" X 90") (213 cm X 228 cm)
- With Preheat and 20 personalized heat settings prepare for a restful...
|Features:||20 different heat settings, dual control, preheat feature, digital display, auto-control temperature using sensors, 5-year warranty|
|Designs Available:||Charcoal, Brown, Beige, Deep Sea Blue, Dusty Blue, Ivy Green, Lagoon Blue, Royal Blue|
Throw Electric Blankets: An Alternative
If you are not very comfortable with the idea of sleeping in a blanket that has live wires running through it, a throw electric blanket might be something you could try. Shorter in dimensions, a throw electric blanket can be ‘thrown’ over yourself while you are lying in the bed or the couch. Although they usually tend to be cheaper, I have sniffed around and selected two options for you. One is low-cost and the other high-end:
Sunbeam Microplush Heated Electric Throw Blanket
- America's #1 Electric Heated Throw Blanket! Turn down your thermostat...
- Turn down your thermostat and still relax in warmth and comfort
- EliteStyle Control: 3 warming settings provide personalized and 3 hour...
|Features:||Auto-adjust temperature control using sensors, 3 heat settings, 3-hour auto-shut feature, 5-year warranty|
|Designs Available:||Garnet, Mushroom, Olive, Red Brick, Sand, Walnut|
Sunbeam Reversible Sherpa/RoyalMink Heated Throw Blanket
- Easy to use electric throw with push button controller with 4 heat...
- Luxurious and ultra comfy royal mink with reverse sherpa material for...
- 50" x 60" the ideal size to snuggle up in
|Features:||Auto-adjust temperature control using sensors, 3 heat settings, auto-shut feature, 5-year warranty|
|Designs Available:||Garnet, Honey, Olive|
How to Select the Best Electric Blanket
If you are not well-versed with the concept of electric blankets and their technical specifications, don’t worry; help is at hand. Before placing your order or making your purchase, you need to consider the following aspects of an electrical blanket:
Make sure you look for the markings of ‘UL’ or ‘ETL’, for they signify that the production and design of the blanket are according to the safety features and protocols. In addition, make sure that you plug your electric blanket in the correct power point, with the right voltage and current input.
Most electric blankets are manufactured according to the most popular bed sizes like twin, double, queen, and king. You may come across smaller or larger sizes depending on the brand and availability. Ensuring that you have the correct size of the electric blanket is critical because a wrong fit might damage the wiring or lead to increased friction.
Ease of Use and Maintenance
Your electrical blanket must be easy to operate and maintain while keeping you comfortable. Going for a blanket that provides the maximum number of features might not always make it the easiest to use. Additionally, if you are going to be sharing the blanket with someone else, say a partner or pet, it is best to ensure that the blanket is spacious and offers differential heating using dual control.
Construction and Build
Since you will be using the blanket on a daily basis, it is of immense importance that you are comfortable with its material and fabric. The fabric must be soft, light, firm, easily washable, durable and must conceal the internal wiring effectively.
Most importantly, you must consider the amount of control and variation your electric blanket offers in the heating. If you live in an extremely cold region, you need to ensure that the maximum setting will be enough to combat the heat.
Similarly, if you plan on using the blanket all year round, it needs to have options to reduce the amount of heat it provides. In addition, some blankets also come with a feature through which you can maintain a consistent temperature. This way, you don’t become too hot or cold immediately after getting in or out of the blanket.
Things to Be Mindful of When Using an Electric Blanket
Safety Comes First
Although electric blankets are completely safe to use, the wrong usage or maintenance can inflict damage to the product and to your safety as well. Do not let it get wet while it is in use, and make sure the blanket is completely dry every time you use it. Use the auto-shut feature for enhanced safety.
Storage of Electric Blankets
Always unplug the blanket and let it cool before folding it. Do not fold the blanket many times over while storing it, for this may damage the wires inside. Finally, do not place it under heavy objects (like a briefcase) during storage.
Maintaining Electric Blankets
You do not just need to clean electric blankets regularly, you also have to check them for signs of wear and tear. This is critical because any exposure of the wire to the surface needs prompt attention. If you find any charred areas or darkened spots on the blanket, do not use it before getting it thoroughly checked and fixed. Most electric blankets can be machine washable and dryer safe today. Remember, they should not be dry-cleaned.
Although I highly recommend investing in a durable, easy-to-use, soft, and beautiful electric blanket, a lot depends on how frequently you intend to use it. If you only plan to use it now and then, a low-cost throw electric blanket should do. However, if you have decided that you will no longer lose sleep over cold feet or uneven heating, you should consider a large, bed-size electric blanket.
Alongside Sunbeam electric blankets, you will be able to find offerings from several other brands in the market as well. These blankets have matured and evolved over the past few years, incorporating user feedback and making the best use of innovative technology to ensure ease of use and high safety features. And to top it off, with so many designs, sizes, fabric, and colors on offer, you will be spoilt for choice!
Last update on 2022-11-28 at 07:14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API